The original Fisherfleet - pre1881

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

The original Fisherfleet - pre1881

Postby old-git » 11 Apr 2005, 19:54

I would have liked to have done a now and then photo with these two old photos, but there was no way to get a now shot from the same spots. :evil:

Last edited by old-git on 23 Apr 2005, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
mustn't grumble
old-git

fisher fleet

Postby delbert » 12 Apr 2005, 22:34

hi git
dont know about before and after ,you,ve done a pretty good job on these pics, took me till last picture,then it suddenly fell into place,
great job

del :smt060
delbert

Postby old-git » 23 Apr 2005, 04:26

Dug up a bit more info about the original Fisher Fleet.
The above photos are after the Alexander dock and dock rail were in place, but before work started in the Bentinck, so about 1880ish.

When they dug the new Marsh Cut (1850-53), they lengthened the winding Fisher Fleet from the Tilden Smith inn (Retreat pub) and the Blockhouse end, followed the course of the old Ouse riverbed to reach the New Cut. The bridge beside The Tilden Smith (Fisher Bridge? Dowshill Bridge?) allowed small craft to navigate as far up as the Maltings (demolished 1930) in Austin street.

When the Alexander dock was built (1869) on the old riverbed, the Fisher Fleet was straightened out from almost, the Tilden, to the New Cut. It would have probably been three times longer then today’s Fleet.

The Fisher Fleet was filled in and cut down to todays size when the Bentinck dock was built (1881-83).

So far I have not found much info on what the fishermen though of all this, I’m still looking, but I did find this snippet –

“In order to make the new wet dock the Fisher Fleet was cut in half. The fishermen of Lynn did not agree to this without a protest and at the ceremony marking the start of work on the new dock, several top-hatted gentlemen were spattered in mud, and the Chief Constables hat ended up in the water”. :shock:
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby old-git » 02 May 2005, 01:31

June 1881, press report.

The Fishermen and Fisher Fleet. – On Friday afternoon last week Messes. Walker, the contractors for the dock extension works, commenced the work of stopping up the Fisher Fleet. In order to prevent the fishermen from taking their boats to their old seats a chain was thrown over the water just above the new landing stage, and as it was anticipated that the fishermen would endeavour to pass the chain and get to their old moorings, the assistance of twelve policemen was obtained.

Soon after half-past three o’clock, the tide then rapidly approached the flood, the boats came up the fleet rapidly, and the first, belonging to Mr Robert Green, went over the chain and reached her old moorings. Before the other boats could follow, however, two boats of police were in readiness for action, and a heavy timber beam was substituted for the chain, thus effectually stopping the passage.

The fishermen, however, were determined not to give in without a struggle, and whilst their wives and children hooted the police from the bank, they endeavoured to force a way; but they were prevented by the combined efforts of the police and a gang of labourers, and at length, after an hours altercations, they gave up the struggle and secured their boats, and the next morning some of them, accepting the inevitable, were busy making fresh seats for their craft.

The work of permanently closing the fleet has commenced. A dam is in course of construction just above the new landing stage.

July 2nd 1881, press report

The Fisher Fleet. – The dam across the Fisher Fleet has now been completed, and the Dock Company, appear to be proceeding to fill up the upper portion of the stream. The dissatisfaction of the fishermen with the action of the Dock Company has resulted in a determination on the part of the fishermen to take legal proceedings in their own defence, and an action has been commenced against the company with that object.
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby old-git » 20 Jun 2005, 01:54

I have been trying to find out the name of the street this row of houses are on. It seems the people of the time couldn't make up their minds, in the 1841 and 1891 census the people living here are addressed at either North End - North End, or North End - North End Yard. North End yard being behind this row.

In an 1854 trade directory in the address bit there is a Fisher's End, Pilot Street. "There are about 70 fishing and sailing boats at Fishers End".

I think the best one comes from the information I found in an 1881 court case, where an old lady, Mrs Judith Watson (widow) 76, took Sir Lewis Jarvis and the Dock Company to court. It seems she owned 6 properties in a row, 4 of which had boat seats out front on the Fisher Fleet. The front house was let to Robert Green, the next 2 let to Fransis Huggins and another person, the next one let to Thomas Fysh which was similar to her house, Judith lived in the next, and the last house was out of repair.

I asked for some info on these people in the Family History section on this forum and recieved a PM from a shy person (please don't be shy :D ) who said they had looked at the Fysh family tree and had a Thomas Fysh, born 1835, mariner, lived at Fisher Bridge Terrace, Kings Lynn. Fisher Bridge Terrace sounds good to me :D

It could well be Mrs Judith Watson leaning out of her front door 8) and it's anyones guess if it's Thomas Fysh outside his front door, or just the gasman :-D

The demolition of the old Fisher Bridge Dec 1863, may be in preparation of the Alexander dock, 1869 (poster on the wall reads Vote For Bagge)
Black and white photo of a water colour by William Taylor.
mustn't grumble
old-git

Old Fisher Fleet

Postby CC » 20 Jun 2005, 06:48

Thanks OG ....I have these photo's ....but is this Fisher Bridge Terrace???
CC[/b]
CC

Postby old-git » 20 Jun 2005, 13:15

Hi CC :D
On the above information that has come to light so far I would say that the row of houses in the pic was indeed at some point called Fisher Bridge Terrace. I would like to know if others draw the same conclusion, until other information comes along proving otherwise. What do you think to the info, does it make sense to you? :smt102
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Mike.H » 20 Jun 2005, 21:26

By the description of Mrs Judith Watsons row of houses in that court case, it does seem to fit the photo quite nicely, especially
the next one let to Thomas Fysh which was similar to her house, Judith lived in the next, and the last house was out of repair.

There can't be many rows of three house's that fit that discription in the area. If I was a betting man I would put money on, that that is her in the photo. Well, until any more evidence comes along indicating otherwise. :smt115
Mike.H

Fisher Bridge Terrace

Postby CC » 20 Jun 2005, 21:42

OG
Facinating stuff eh? especially as the Thomas in the article (my GGgrandfather) b1836-1907 married Elizabeth Watson. So was this Judith Watson his mother in law and my GGGgrandmother????wow eh! I have a photo of Thomas Christmas Fysh, born Dec 25th 1836, interested?
CC
CC

Postby old-git » 21 Jun 2005, 02:24

Hi CC,
I find it all facinating :D I hope you get around to posting any stuff you would like to share sometime, I for one would be interested to see it. 8)

What you say about Elizabeth Watson is really interesting, Judith and Elizabeth could well be mother/daughter. In the court case it is stated that Judith had lived at this place for 50 years.
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby old-git » 31 Jul 2005, 03:02

Date unknown, but before the Bentinck dock was built. People on the Crossbank road looking over the fence towards were the new dock will be.
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby CC » 01 Aug 2005, 07:52

OG,
should be possible to map this out in relation to where they are standing. I like family having a "picnic" on he mud. Nice find.
CC
CC

Postby old-git » 03 Aug 2005, 04:24

A bit closer pic of the people in the photo. Wouldn't suprise me if the "picnickers" were the family + servant/s of the photographer
(go sit down there dear, I'll see if I can get you in) 8)

mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby CC » 03 Aug 2005, 17:19

OG,
Servants????? can't be NorthEnders then! :oops: I believe they are 3F's ....Future Fishing Families.
CC
:wink:
CC

Postby old-git » 05 Aug 2005, 04:29

Yes, it's anyones guess, to me they just look to middle class, push chair, kiddie with light colour hat. The girl on the left with the white appron, perhaps not a servant, but they were common to the middle class. :smt017 :smt102
mustn't grumble
old-git

Next

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY