Gaywood clock area - just before move.

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Gaywood clock area - just before move.

Postby old-git » 21 Jan 2006, 04:39

Anyone know the year the clock moved?

Now.

Now
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Mike.H » 22 Jan 2006, 01:51

Interesting pics OG, I can just remember how the location looked. The white buiding to the right at the end of the row in the fifth photo, was it an electrical shop? I seem to remember buying light bulbs with my mum once upon a time. :smt017
Mike.H

Postby old-git » 22 Jan 2006, 04:52

The shop was called Colby's or Colby Electrical I think, I used to buy the odd bit of cable from there. I can remember the old fellow (Colby?) measuring the cable out against marks spaced out along the counter.
mustn't grumble
old-git

GAYWOOD CLOCK AREA

Postby EWW » 22 Jan 2006, 10:22

Befor it was colbys it was a shoe repair shop (woods's I think) next door, the little leanto, was laine van pelts pet food shop, a bookies next to that, again memories getting a bit foggy but I think it was Holden and breeze,
a bit further along mr napolitano had his barbers shop, and where you can
see Corks there was a smallholding, barns and the like, run by mister Greenacre, who lived in Queen Mary Rd. I think my cousin and her husband
were the last landlords of the Swan pup. Can any of you remember the pup opposite where the clock stood? it was called the Cock always full of mad wildfowlers that had thier guns propped up at the end of the bar and thier dogs under the tables, just imagine that in this day and age. Old gaywood boy.EWW.
EWW

Postby bill » 22 Jan 2006, 15:30

good pictures i remember them shops thanks for the memories
billJ
bill

Gaywood Clock

Postby thaberland » 26 Nov 2006, 04:38

I remember Woods shoe repair Alan Woods was an old boy freind
Thanks. ;-)
thaberland

Re: Gaywood clock area - just before move.

Postby spaldingexile » 04 Feb 2010, 21:46

Have recently found these photo's taken by my father in September 89 - on the back he wrote, before they moved the clock in October.

Last edited by spaldingexile on 04 Feb 2010, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.
spaldingexile

Postby EWW » 04 Feb 2010, 21:57

Spent countless hours sitting on that grey box when I was a kid in Gaywood.
It used to be up against Charlie woods shoe shop wall.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Kate Benefer » 04 Feb 2010, 22:44

ha ha ev me and sam spent hours in the old pub before it was turned into flats!!!! we even made a slide out of the workmans tubes they use for putting the rubbish out!!!! all ways getting chased out of there!!! but dont tell her i just grassed!! ha ha :lol:
Kate Benefer

Postby EWW » 04 Feb 2010, 22:47

Shes for it now Kate :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby thaberland » 05 Feb 2010, 01:55

:smt006 ME TOO I have SO many memories back then, we always walked that way when we were sent up top for things at the shops, Alway took our shoes to Woods for repair new heels or soles you cant do that anymore they dont last long anough,
We all ran around with the Woods boys Steven and Alan does anyone know what ever happened to them??. Anyway
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES :D :D
thaberland

Postby apollonine » 05 Feb 2010, 10:29

:smt058 About the time these photos were taken, it was a nightmare coming from Gayton Road and trying to turn right into Wootton Road before the traffic lights were installed. I can remember sitting in the cab of an Electricity Board lorry and my mate (the driver) frantically swearing and blowing on his hooter because the car driver in front was being hesitant in pulling out onto Wootton Road, suddenly in a casual fashion the drivers door on the car in front swung open and a strapping 6ft 6 inch bloke got out heading in our direction, he was shouting something like "What else did you get for Christmas you prat". I've never seen windows closed or interior lorry locks put on so fast in my life. I was still laughing an hour later. By the way Thaberland reminded me that Gaywooders always used the expression "are you going up top" when we went to the Gaywood clock area...
"Treat everyday as your last as one day you're gonna be right"
apollonine

Postby teddybear1959 » 05 Feb 2010, 10:52

Looking at the first lot of pictures, the now picture! How on earth did the planners allow those red pantiles to adorn the roof of the end of that row?

OMG!

Teddy
:wink:
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby TheBeltane » 05 Feb 2010, 21:52

Good pictures! I can't imagine why they didn't put the lights in when the traffic became too heavy for the junction - then the clock could have stayed where it was mean't to be. It looked right where it was and it looks out of place where it is now against the Bishop's Palace. Scale, materials, style all fight. I agree about the nasty tiles behind it too. Gaywood like large parts of Lynn has suffered at the hands of idiot planners who wanted and still want to make changes. Yes it had got very scruffy but it is getting that way again around the shops. Tesco is a dreadful building now plastered with 'special offers'. I'd much rather see The Ship and the terrace there.
Planners make their mark, praise their work then move off and make their mark somewhere else!
TheBeltane

Postby teddybear1959 » 05 Feb 2010, 23:09

The Row there is listed and I have emailed the Borough Council about it. It is interesting to note that while I was looking at the listing, I noticed that it said that the Ship was listed "demolished for Tesco store". Says it all really doesn't it? So those who wanted Campbell's Tower listed, it wouldn't have made a ha'p'orth of difference!!!

Teddy
:wink:

(Moving the step away from his soap-box so he can't get up there any more!)
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Next

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY