Dodmans Bridge

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Dodmans Bridge

Postby littleoldboy » 20 Nov 2017, 19:11

Recently acquired this post card, simply says Dodmans Bridge on the back. I think it is taken from the bridge looking towards Gaywood. Think that is Highgate School in the background. Any ideas what the occasion is? a lot of people lining the road to watch a convoy of lorries
All comments welcome

Little Old Boy

littleoldboy

Re: Dodmans Bridge

Postby EWW » 20 Nov 2017, 21:05

I think it links in with the picture in this link LOB.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7761&hilit=1937
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby rospaul » 20 Nov 2017, 21:09

:P ...... Great photograph LOB, date early 1930s ? the front lorry is a 1929 Layland swb 6t "Hippo"

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby EWW » 21 Nov 2017, 12:59

LOB. Can you see on the original picture the name on the front of the second lorry please. The res is not good enough to read it on the forum.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby littleoldboy » 21 Nov 2017, 16:55

Sorry EWW no clearer on original. I am not sure whether it is a company name or a slogan. There are four words going diagonally down and across, each starting with the capital letters on the 1st lorry Sxxxx Pxxx Bxxx Axxx , Beneath in a horizontal line could be numbers rather than letters.
Might help if we could get an idea of date, and why people were lining the street just to watch a convoy of lorries.
Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby EWW » 21 Nov 2017, 18:10

There are flags on the houses and that is why I think it is a jubilee LOB.
EWW

Postby pspooner » 02 Dec 2017, 05:47

Postby EWW » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 pm
I think it links in with the picture in this link LOB.

http://www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7761&hilit=1937
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7761&hilit=1937

Those 2 photos certainly could be related but it seems in the one with the lorries that people are more bundled up in heavier clothing that the one showing the children in fancy dress near the school - several little girls are seen with just summer dresses on in that one. The coronation for George VI took place on May 12, 1937, btw.

Could the lorries one have been anything like an agricultural show? How about the cars -- anyone spot the age of those models? Detective work is such fun!
pspooner

Postby suzook12 » 07 Feb 2018, 04:26

Something to do with the death of George v perhaps? Jan 1936. The front truck was registered in Newcastle upon Tyne area, the "A" prefix would suggest 30's also... Those registrations started in 32 although some areas started later than that as used up the previous reg's first..... That's all I can find at present

Yep, definitely a leyland truck, though everything I have found/seen suggests Hippos were 6 wheelers. The LT1 Lion also looks a very close contender...
suzook12

Postby Tresagreen » 07 Feb 2018, 09:13

Been having a real close look at this photo. The lorries seem to be loaded with sacks of something or other, could it have been a relief convoy? Lots of bad things going on in the world at this time, chiefly in Spain. Also the people seem quite subdued, so don't think it would have been a celebration or jubilee.
Tresagreen

Postby rospaul » 07 Feb 2018, 11:03

[quote][ so don't think it would have been a celebration or jubilee.quote]

Teresa, if you look at Mr Scotts house first past Highgate School, you will see its flying the union flag, so it must have been some kind of celebration.

:smt006
Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live for today".
(Paul the dog walker)
rospaul

Postby suzook12 » 07 Feb 2018, 14:11

suzook12 wrote:Something to do with the death of George v perhaps? Jan 1936. The front truck was registered in Newcastle upon Tyne area, the "A" prefix would suggest 30's also... Those registrations started in 32 although some areas started later than that as used up the previous reg's first..... That's all I can find at present

Yep, definitely a leyland truck, though everything I have found/seen suggests Hippos were 6 wheelers. The LT1 Lion also looks a very close contender...

Made a mistake on this, Registration would have been South Shields not Newcastle.
suzook12

Postby EWW » 07 Feb 2018, 15:19

Do not think that flags and bunting would have been at the school for the death of a Royal. Still think the Jubilee is the best bet.
EWW

Postby Tresagreen » 07 Feb 2018, 15:40

Yes rospaul, I did notice one flag, if it's a celebration however, why don't the children have flags and why is everyone looking so miserable. Just asking.
Tresagreen

Postby Papa Smurf » 15 Feb 2018, 18:02

littleoldboy wrote:Sorry EWW no clearer on original. I am not sure whether it is a company name or a slogan. There are four words going diagonally down and across, each starting with the capital letters on the 1st lorry Sxxxx Pxxx Bxxx Axxx , Beneath in a horizontal line could be numbers rather than letters.
Might help if we could get an idea of date, and why people were lining the street just to watch a convoy of lorries.
Little Old Boy

Hello everyone. I believe the letters stand for Scientific Poultry Breeders Association. Here's a quote regarding the association-

In the 1930's there was increasing interest in the scientific feeding of farm
animals, including poultry, with balanced prepared feeds rather than the
old grains as harvested. R&W Paul were involved in this and may have
been encouraged in the war by the Government (dig for Britain etc).
Paul's supported the Scientific Poultry Breeders Association and formed a
subsidiary firm SPBA Supplies Ltd to supply their prepared feeds,
amongst other things. To make out the SPBA were impartial, the perfins
were ordered through Gillman & Spencer and the Society of Produce
Buyers Association was invented.

So I guess the sacks were full of chicken feed. Although not sure what the occasion is...
Papa Smurf

Postby Tresagreen » 15 Feb 2018, 18:39

Hey papa smurf, yeah we came up with this too, also sisters of pure blood ass. But since everyone thought it was a celebration, it didn't seem worth mentioning. There are photos of the scientific P B A. in America if you can find the right website.
Tresagreen

Next

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY