Quakers in Lynn

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Quakers in Lynn

Postby littleoldboy » 13 Dec 2008, 22:32

Attached photo of my great aunt Alice Chilvers in Quakers Uniform taken in Lynn about 1900/05.
It has been cut to put in a frame, but the photographer appears to be Hardy & Mea...King's ...
Anyone throw any light on the Quakers in Lynn or this photographer from around that time?

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Re: Quakers in Lynn

Postby SteveC » 14 Dec 2008, 21:38

Just done a search of the Historical Directories, checking the Kellys 1912 edition for Hardy & Mea...but unfortunately can not find a mention.

However, I have found a mention of Hardy & Measures, Photographer, 38a Norfolk Street, Kings Lynn in a 1925 directory.

I appreciate this is some 20 odd years later but at least it proves this firm existed.

Hope this helps a little with your research and helps you become a slightly wiser LOB :wink:

Steve
SteveC

Postby old-git » 16 Dec 2008, 00:26

Just read on the Quaker site of their meeting house in Bridge street 1886, the old Hulk pub.
http://www.kingslynnquakers.co.uk
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby teddybear1959 » 16 Dec 2008, 13:36

The Quakers used to meet in New Conduit Street.

Teddy
:wink:
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby EWW » 16 Dec 2008, 14:08

There is already a thread on here about the Quakers meeting in Crisps yard Stonegate St.
Search Crisps and it will take you to it LOB.
The Cross Yard mentioned in the link below is where my mother was born.

http://www.kingslynnquakers.co.uk/historyoflynnqua.html
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby old-git » 16 Dec 2008, 14:24

Oh yes, I read 1986 as 1886,, these new glasses are going back :smt062

1886, meeting house in New Conduit Street
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby littleoldboy » 16 Dec 2008, 15:03

Thanks all,

Alice was born 1889 so I am assuming picture was early 1900s. So Quakers meeting in New Conduit Street at that time.
Ironic about the Hulk becoming a Quakers meeting house.
When the lemonade ran out and the Bestyett founded by Alice's brother Walter closed, they held a farewell do there for the staff!
So her brother, niece and nephews not abstaining in the mid 1960s.

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

ADULT SCHOOL DEMONSTRATION

Postby old-git » 08 Jan 2009, 18:36

I don't know how many people in this photo are local. They are standing on the 'burial ground' marked on the map above, camera is pointing south.

Found this in the Local press 02-08-1912
ADULT SCHOOL DEMONSTRATION.—On Sunday the members of the Adult schools of the Lynn and District Sub-Union arranged a united meeting in the town, and representa¬tives from the various schools in the dis¬trict attended in large numbers. At the school, New Conduit Street, in the morning the black-board lesson, entitled "The right use of life," was conducted by Mr. J. W. Horn, of Norwich, editor of the Norfolk supplement of "One and All." The members present entered heartily into the discussion, and a very enjoyable and profitable time was spent. In the afternoon the members assembled on the Tuesday Market Place and, headed by the Wiggenhall St. Mary's brass band, proceeded to the Walks field for the united meeting. A short programme of music was played by the band, after which the meeting commenced. Mr. R. G. Errington presided, supported by Mr. Stocking, of Hilgay (vice-president). Mr. J. W. Horn. Mr. Eagle, of Thorn ham, and Mr. W. Brown, of Snettisham. The attendance numbered about 300. The evening meeting was some¬what interfered with by the showery weather. Mr. Stocking presided and addresses were given by Mr. Ransome (Crimplesham), Mr. W. Dennis (Lynn) and Mr. J. W. Horn. All the meetings were very successful.

(A bit more about the Adult School Movement.) (Found here - www.archive.org )
Among the notable works of the modern Quaker is the Adult School Movement. Joseph Sturge really started
the movement in Birmingham, the following handbill being issued:

"A School is intended to be held on First-day (Sunday) evenings, from six to eight o clock, at the British School
Rooms in Severn Street, chiefly for the purpose of afford ing instruction in reading the scriptures, and in writing, to
youths and young men from fourteen years of age and up wards, who are invited to attend. The school to commence
on the 12th of tenth month, 1845."

This movement grew until it assumed an international importance; other nations, taking it up, and today in England it has over one thousand schools and one hundred thousand members among both sexes.

mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby teddybear1959 » 08 Jan 2009, 19:57

Wow, thanks for that OG. Great picture and information.

Teddy
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby psmith » 22 Jun 2009, 17:15

Hi everyone
I'm new both to Lynn Forums and , comparatively , to Norfolk so forgive my ignorance. I am researching Quakers in Lynn in the 17th century and would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about that period.
I am particularly interested in the group that supported Ed. Shooter before he died in jail for his beliefs and even more so in the pre-1660 group of Quaker women led by Isbel Barnard/Nash.
psmith

Postby teddybear1959 » 23 Jun 2009, 08:21

There are a lot of references in the NRO.

I have carried out some research myself, pm me if you need refs.

Teddy
teddybear1959

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY