Tennyson Avenue - level crossing

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Tennyson Avenue - level crossing

Postby old-git » 13 Jun 2005, 04:05

Seeing this photo, I remember the clung-clunk-clung sound as you walked across. As a kid it really cheesed me off that you could not look over the side and watch the trains :smt013

Looks like they had major traffic problems at the crossing in 1937

So they tried dreaming up solutions to keep the traffic flowing. Notice that pedestrians and trucks were to wait at the gate whilst car owners could wind their merry way (it was an April fool) :mrgreen:
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Mivalanchi » 09 Apr 2007, 17:28

This article in the Lynn News 18 Feb 1936 is interesting regarding the traffic problems of the time. When Queen Mary road was built so wide, it seems it would have become part of the by-pass? Like many projected plans the War stopped quite a few from being realised.

The Lynn News plan shows the route of the proposed new bypass between Hardwick Road and the Gaywood Memorial Clock.
The plan is based on the official one which the county surveyor ( Maj. S H Warren ) recently submitted to the corporation’s town planning committee
The new road will carry the traffic between the Midlands and the coast. Which at present uses the Vancouver avenue and Tennyson avenue bypass, but instead of being held up by local level crossings on Tennyson avenue and Gaywood road cars will cross the Dereham railway line by a new bridge.

OPENING UP OF GAYWOOD HALL ESTATE
The new bypass will have two 20foot concrete carriage ways with a 20 foot verge between and a 7ft 6inches footway on either side
The county surveyor is to consult the ministry of transport (which is providing the greatest part of the cost ) regarding details before the plan is finally approved.
As may be seen from the plan it will have a fork at the Hardwick end so that it may be approached with ease by traffic from the directions of Wisbech, Downham and Swaffham.
There will be three traffic islands at this southern end and the traffic will flow smoothly and safely on its way.
With the two carriageways there will be a double stream of traffic moving in opposite directions with the verge in between to prevent accidents.
At the Gaywood end the new by pass will meet the Lynn, Wootton and Gayton roads at Gaywood Memorial clock (which will be the centre of another traffic island).
The road will be about a mile-and- a-half long, and halfway between Hardwick and Gaywood a new reinforced concrete bridge will be constructed over the Dereham railway line.
The road will pass through the centre of Lynn Corporation’s Gaywood Hall Estate, and will open the estate up for housing.
The road will also serve the new schools, which are to be built between the Hunstanton Road and Gaywood Hall.
The new by-pass forms part of a big scheme of road reconstruction which is being planned by the Norfolk County Council. The route between Wisbech and Norwich is to be widened, straightened at several points, and by-passes are to be made at Swaffham and Dereham. The total cost of that will be £1,200,000.
The Lynn by-pass, shown above, will link that route to the Lynn Hunstanton road—which is also to be widened and straightened at a cost of £25,000 during the next two years.
When these schemes are completed West Norfolk will be served by a splendid set of modern high ways, wide, straight, and safe.
The journey of thousands to and from the sea during summer week end will be swifter and pleasanter, and there will be no annoying waiting in a queue at Lynn’s level crossings.
Mivalanchi

TENNISON AVE BRIDGE

Postby roger » 12 Apr 2007, 21:22

WHO HAS GONE DOWN THE BRIDGE FAST AND DID NOT MAKE THE GAP BETWEEN THE RAILS AT THE BOTTOM ,OPS I HAVE FOR ONE ROGER :( :(
Be up when they lay
roger

TENNISON AVE BRIDGE

Postby thaberland » 13 Apr 2007, 00:55

I HAVE DONE THAN A FEW TIMES, WHEN WE LIVED ON FRAIRS STREET WE ALMOST ALWAYS MISSED THE BUS ON THE FLEET AND WALKED OVER THAT BRIDGE EVERY DAY I LOVED THE NEXT ONE WITH THE BIKE RACK ALSO :D WHAT DID THAY DO WITH THAT BRIDGE? :?
thaberland

Tennyson Avenue crossing

Postby tricky sam » 14 Apr 2007, 15:04

What year was the April Fool story about the car fly-overs published in the Lynn News?
Tricky Sam
tricky sam

tennysonrd flyover

Postby ANDY P » 15 Apr 2007, 08:18

Not sure of the year but here is the April fools cutting

ANDY P

Traffic Jams

Postby teddybear1959 » 15 Apr 2007, 10:21

Sorry to go off subject a bit, but here goes!

My grandparents lived in Merries Farm on the Pullover Road and every summer there were jams that went back miles from the town. We used to stand at the gate and watch the traffic. (Is that sad or what?) My dad used to help people that got overheated (their cars got overheated) and we often had people in for a cup of tea. I remember that we had a family with a new born baby in for feeding and a woman who had just had an operation.

The main question people used to shout was "What's the hold up?" Problem was, there wasn't really a reason, just too many cars and no by-pass! When we told them that it was like that every Saturday in the summer they weren't best pleased!

The farm was run by Lister Brown and his son Charles by the way.

I will stop there as it was beginning to get into a bit of an epic...........

Teddy
:wink:
teddybear1959

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY