South Lynn and King's Lynn Railway Stations - M&GN

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: South Lynn and King's Lynn Railway Stations - M&GN

Postby EWW » 21 Oct 2018, 08:38

supergt1971 wrote:Hi Roger,i was just looking through your piece and noticed that you said Sandpiper Way follows the route of the track.My nan lived at 1 Diamond street and the line was right opposite her front door which i think is now or was a cycle track,i remember a large set of gates sat on the opposite side of Barry Tice's shop and looking from my nans bedroom window we could see a headshunt for Dalgety's that sat behind what i suppose was a gatekeeper's cottage on Saddlebow road.I am not disputing that Sandpiper way does not follow the line of the track but i think that bit is closer to the river.At the time i was about 8/9 years old but these things still stick in my memory.

You can see a cyclist coming up to the gates in this picture super. The bowling green behind the Railway Tavern looks like it would make a great skating rink.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 21 Oct 2018, 10:25

The line on that pic looks much closer to the gatehouse than the current junction does, looks like the road passes through what was those small buildings/offices?
suzook12

Postby supergt1971 » 21 Oct 2018, 18:47

The red dotted house was my nan's but i remember this path marked with the other red dot,i suppose when i was a child watching through the fence the trains seemed much closer.

Winfarthing Approach
supergt1971

Postby EWW » 21 Oct 2018, 19:16

You can just see the gates top left. As an aside. I think the building left of IN-gate to the muck was a store for the lab.
I can remember the advertising boards also.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby rogerfarnworth » 22 Oct 2018, 06:24

Some really interesting photos!
I have adapted my blog post on the Harbour Branch for the earlier picture. Another edit is now required!
Thank you!
Roger
rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » 22 Oct 2018, 07:12

The update to the Harbor Branch Blog post has been completed. The revised version is available, as before, at:

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/09/16/ki ... our-branch
rogerfarnworth

Postby EWW » 24 Oct 2018, 19:08

Great stuff as usual Roger. As a very young fifteen year old I worked on the railway. I used to visit the boal quay all the
time. Whenever I got the chance the shunter tractor drivers used to let me have a drive about the yard. It was thesame when
visiting the railway office on the dock. The tractor driver there was called Mr Percy Hunt from Heacham and he would let
me have a go also. No power sreering in those days and they took some driving. Happy days. :)
EWW

Postby rogerfarnworth » 24 Oct 2018, 20:02

Thank you.
rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » 06 Nov 2018, 20:02

A few random bits and pieces which relate to the docks railways in King's Lynn ....

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/11/06/kings-lynn-docks-branch-part-4-miscellaneous
rogerfarnworth

Postby supergt1971 » 07 Nov 2018, 15:11

Just to add comment to your latest piece,yes the track bed is preserved land owned by NR hence why no building has been allowed on it.I think when Palm Paper was proposed part of the agreement was for materials to be transported by river and by rail via the Docks branch.This fell through possibly due to cost yet again and the Harbour junction was plain lined about 7 years ago but i think this was also a result of another idea that had been banded about before Tesco expanded as an idea for a distribution warehouse supplied by rail via the old Campbell's siding that also went nowhere.
supergt1971

Postby rogerfarnworth » 07 Nov 2018, 16:18

Thank you!
rogerfarnworth

Postby Baldrick » 09 Nov 2018, 00:40

supergt1971 wrote:Just to add comment to your latest piece,yes the track bed is preserved land owned by NR hence why no building has been allowed on it.I think when Palm Paper was proposed part of the agreement was for materials to be transported by river and by rail via the Docks branch.This fell through possibly due to cost yet again and the Harbour junction was plain lined about 7 years ago but i think this was also a result of another idea that had been banded about before Tesco expanded as an idea for a distribution warehouse supplied by rail via the old Campbell's siding that also went nowhere.

There's obviously stuff not happening regarding it otherwise we'd have heard about it but with the rising problem of traffic problems and trucks surely it'd make sense for either Tescos or palm paper to reconsider rail usage? I did read that there's going to be more industrial units etc being built over that way, which could use rail to transport their goods.
Baldrick

Postby supergt1971 » 09 Nov 2018, 10:02

Regarding Tesco you now have what we've got,all the plans that they first submitted and the ideas proposed fell by the wayside and they just built the bigger shop,the road that passes around the rear of Tesco,new units etc have put any idea of that link to bed.The dock link is another matter,i think with how traffic is now with the proximity of the traffic lights in that location i think it would be impossible to get any gates across the road for movements unless it was late at night.Once again finances dictate what infrastructure gets put back in and most things on the railway nowadays have to have a sponsor to help with costs to help drive development.
supergt1971

Postby Ivan46 » 11 Nov 2018, 08:10

Hi,

Does anyone know (or have photos) of a bridge or crossing that went over Hardwick narrows?
Allegedly M&GN gatehouse 1A was in this area.
Is there any photos of the A10/Hardwick road bridge passing over the running lines as I have only seen photos of the A47 road bridge.

Many thank yous :D
Ivan46

Postby Appso » 11 Nov 2018, 15:32

Hello Ivan. It was a level crossing at Hardwick Narrows, accessed from Beveridge Way between the Hardwick Roundabout and the Mercedes-Benz dealer. The crossing gatekeepers house was across the railway track and on the left. The house was owned by Harry Gray a scrap metal dealer, he had the old house demolished and a larger one built on the same site sometime in the 1970's or early 1980's. Harry had two large steel plates laid across Hardwick Narrows, just before you got to his house, these acted as his 'door bell'. You may have seen the pictures I put on here in October showing the A47 bridge over the M&GN, I went along to take these when I was told that the bridge was about to be demolished. I am fairly sure that the bridge that carried the A10 over the M&GN at the other end or Hardwick Road Goods, was demolished before I moved here in late 1969.
Appso

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY