Kings Lynn Railway

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: A FEW FOR THE RAILWAY BUFFS

Postby EWW » 18 Sep 2011, 09:09

Our member "Rocker" and myself managed to salvage these pictures of the
Tennyson Av bridge off some old slides.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 18 Sep 2011, 09:10

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby Jaggy2409 » 18 Sep 2011, 21:25

The 3rd picture in the last 2 posts are the same one must of been scanned back to front.
Jaggy2409

Postby EWW » 18 Sep 2011, 21:36

Ha HA HA :D Dead right jaggy. Note to self. Must stay of the turps when posting pictures :oops:
EWW

Postby littleoldboy » 18 Sep 2011, 21:44

Great pictures of the old footbridge. Many happy memories of pushing my bike up there and scooting it down!. When did it come down - presumably to make way for electrification?

Little Old Boy
littleoldboy

Postby Dawn » 18 Sep 2011, 22:50

I havent been on for a while & just want to say my brother rode his bicycle down; ducked to ride under the bars but lifted his head up to see where he was and knocked all his front teeth out. I think he might have been 10 or 12. Needless to say he was taken to the hospital by ambulance. Thanks for sharing.
Dawn

Postby EWW » 18 Dec 2011, 19:01

I know this bridge was opened in 1941 but can any of our
railway experts on here tell me when this curved metal
walkway was changed for the flat one shown in other
pictures posted.

EWW

Postby Mivalanchi » 19 Dec 2011, 11:28

I reckon c1970. as from memory a report in the local paper stated the bridge needed repais and at same time it was being heightened ready for the power cables for planned electrification of the line.
Mivalanchi

Postby EWW » 19 Dec 2011, 14:04

Yes I think you may well be right Miv. I think that a couple of extra
steps were added at the top of the sloop to accommodate the new
height of the bridge.
EWW

Postby Dry_Sweeper » 24 Dec 2011, 19:43

From reading these threads on here and looking at the photos of the railway in Lynn I have noticed that it has changed dramatically over the years, I don't just mean track being ripped of closed unused lines but existing lines altered from when the photos were taken to today

One note is the fact that there is no direct line from Lynn station to Middleton Towers anymore, I am sure the link was there some ten years ago but now that line is routed straight towards the dock branch with a crossover going back out towards Watlington,

The second that there used to be 4 tracks between both long platforms now there is only 3

Seems to me they like to lift and re route track around the station willy nilly lol

Also there seems to be a lot of manual levers at the side of lines too, seems a bit silly when the signal box must have loads of redundant levers that have been unused since certain lines have been lifted over the years, one lever to note is the one on the disused platform hence why they don't use it anymore due to health and safety, it seemed to be ok some 50 years ago to use this platform
Dry_Sweeper

Postby supergt1971 » 25 Dec 2011, 12:10

In reply to your post Dry sweeper you are correct there are only 2 routes available from the goods yard-Middleton towers and the main line to Watlington.Anything that is required to go from the station to middleton towers has to come out of the platform,pass the signalbox and sit behind the signal there before the points can be changed to access the yard and sit behind the signal in the yard in order for the points to be changed to route to middleton towers.As a second point the lines between the long platforms you refer to( i'm assuming you mean platform 1 and the old parcel bay platform) are now the carriage sidings,you can see trains are stabled there overnight.The 2 lines are the parcel bay road (adjacant to the old platform) and the middle road.In your final point ( no pun intended) you refer to the amount of points alongside the track,these are handpoints that in the carriage sidings give routes to either the parcelbay or middle road and are operated by the train driver to give him the route he requires.In the goods yard the other hand points give routes for freight trains to do runarounds and are operated by either the groundstaff or driver also to give them routes they require.As these handpoints do not require a signal for the route there is no need to have them tied in to the signalbox.
supergt1971

Tennyson Ave Footbridge

Postby Emmo » 22 Mar 2012, 19:22

Waiting today at the railway gates in Tennyson Ave i happend to say if the bridge had been here we could have gone over it. Ans surprise surprise they said WHAT BRIDGE !! I said you remember the bridge and they said no, one of them had been in King`s Lynn since 1972 and the other 1976 and they could not remember the bridge. Could somebody please tell me when it was taken down, sorry if this has been a subject before.
Emmo

Re: Tennyson Ave Footbridge

Postby greenpen » 22 Mar 2012, 19:55

You mean the footbridge. I think it was taken down in 1990-91. It lay there for some considerable length of time before the scrapman took it away.
greenpen

Re: Tennyson Ave Footbridge

Postby Emmo » 22 Mar 2012, 20:05

Thanks for that, i do mean the Tennyson Ave footbridge and NOT the bridge near Gaywood Park School, i think it would have been taken down for the trains when they went over to electric.
Emmo

Postby EWW » 22 Mar 2012, 20:16

Hello Emmo long time no see. I have combined you post with this thread as there
are lots of pictures of the bridge in here.
EWW

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY