Norfolk St - 1942

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Norfolk St - 1942

Postby choks » 06 Apr 2005, 17:16

My friends dad saw the Eagle pub get bombed from his bedroom window, this is the scene from across the street, his dad is second from the right.

Norfolk street last week, same position.

Last edited by choks on 14 Jul 2006, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
choks

Postby old-git » 10 Apr 2005, 01:17

Nice (nowthen) photo choks :D

My father in-laws family had a shop a few doors up from this scene, at the time they had only recently ceased living over the shop and now lived on Wootton road.

His sister Edna, who was about 24 at the time, told me she saw the plane that dropped the bomb/s. She said, “I was biking up Queen Mary road on my way home from an evening class at Gaywood School. An aeroplane flew past in front of me heading toward town, and shortly after I heard a boom. The next day when we went to the shop we saw what had happened to the Eagle and the street, there was a terrible mess and the windows of our shop had been blown out. We had a lot of clearing up to do”.
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Nuttycrunch » 22 Apr 2005, 20:14

thanks for the pic really interesting i have really enjoyed seeing where the ancestors lived :lol: nuttycrunch
Nuttycrunch

Postby old-git » 23 Apr 2005, 04:03

Hi Nuttycrunch :D I hope you had a good day, sorry the town is a bit of a building site at the moment :smt096 :oops:
mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Mike.H » 14 Jun 2005, 20:34

The Eagle Hotel bomb damage, probably photo shot from the upstairs window of the shop in the first photo. Date 1942, not 41 as topic title :wink:

Mike.H

Postby old-git » 16 Jun 2005, 19:58

The original Eagle, black eagle on the roof.

mustn't grumble
old-git

Postby Mike.H » 18 Jun 2005, 00:09

Thanks git, I've never seen an image of the old Eagle, shame about the quality, but greatly appreciated :D
Mike.H

Postby old-git » 18 Jun 2005, 03:03

Hi Mike,
I hadn't seen it either untill just recently. I would have thought that when they built the new Eagle they would have put another eagle on the roof,,, but then you know what thought did. :roll:
mustn't grumble
old-git

eagle pub

Postby delbert » 18 Jun 2005, 13:39

hi git was just wondering if you have any sort of date for ol pic of eagle :smt004
delbert

Postby old-git » 19 Jun 2005, 03:36

No, sorry delbert, it's a good scan from a faded newspaper cutting, that I was sent. So the quality of the photo dosen't have anything to do with its age. There must be some good ones out there somewhere, lets hope someone reading this has one and shares it 8)
mustn't grumble
old-git

Re: Norfolk St - 1942

Postby teddybear1959 » 19 Jul 2009, 19:46

After the recent post regarding Chequer's Yard in Norfolk Street, I have been looking at the area and I still can't place the second picture in the post by Mike of June 14th 2005. There should be buildings in the background if it is of the Eagle, not gardens.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Teddy
:wink:
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby EWW » 19 Jul 2009, 20:15

This shows some garden like plots in the background Ted. I used to play around the old
pub in the very early 50s but cannot honestly say what was behind there.

I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby teddybear1959 » 19 Jul 2009, 22:40

Yes Eww, but behind the Eagle, looking towards Austin Street, you would see Hildon's Yard etc wouldn't you? It just seems a bit too wide open to me. If it was the Eagle in the second picture, the building still standing would be the Swan and Van Pelt's would be on the extreme right. Who had Van Pelt's at that time? Looks like G..F ???

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Teddy
:wink:
I am very interested in local history of mid-Norfolk and I have lots of connections to families in the Lynn area. http://www.norfolk-tours.co.uk/
teddybear1959

Postby raybay » 07 Aug 2009, 16:35

I was 10 years old at the time the Eagle was demolished.

A lovely summer's evening, standing in our kitchen looking towards the Eagle when I saw this vivid red flash, next thing I was racing over to my granny's house next door in a panic.

The picture of the half demolished building is of the Billiard Hall situated to the rear of the Eagle, looking to the north, the next picture is of the shops to the right of the Eagle as viewed looking north. At the time the shop to the immediate right of the Eagle was Limbert's Fish Cafe which was totally demolished; Mrs Manning, Mick Manning's (who played in goal for the Linnets and worked as a linotype operator for Lynn News) granny had her legs blown off. A fatal casualty was Carol Faulkner's mother.

I believe this was one of a stick dropped by the bomber, one landed in the playing field near the Red Mount leaving a crater you could get a decent size house in, next was on waste land between St John's Church and the Council depot, next was St John's Terrace, two houses demolished, next was on Cruso & Wilkins sales ring on the Cattle Market, then the Eagle. I'm not sure if the Victoria pub off Loke Road was also demolished that evening.
The present day Sainsbury's car park is the site of the Cruso & Wilkin sales ring.
Nobody owns tomorrow. RAYBAY
raybay

Postby EWW » 07 Aug 2009, 16:38

Nice bit of history RAYBAY thanks :D
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Next

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY