King's Lynn and area Forums

The Lynn area WWW...
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Gentlemen's club
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:03 pm 

Is anyone else as incensed as I am at the suggestion that the wine bar/tapas bar on the corner of Norfolk Street is to be turned into a lap dancing club? Isn't this town seedy enough????

Post subject: Re: Gentlemen's club
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:23 pm 

King's Lynn and seedy.. somehow I'm not surprised at this proposal. It was a shame it didn't suceed as the tapas bar.. but they never did seem to quite get around the definition of tapas and insisted on turning it into a meal instead of a siccession of small snacks.

If objections are going to be raised and a protest encouraged then perhaps it should also include the licensed sex shop just around the corner from that site?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 pm 

Could someone please guide me to the "seedy Lynn" mentioned because after
living here for 65 years I do not know where it is. Perhaps i've lived a sheltered
life up untill now I dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:10 pm 

Clearly you've never spent a Saturday evening in Chicagos, EWW!!

The 'private shop' has been in Norfolk Street for a long time - I don't remember it opening. It has always seemed discreet and I'm surprised it has survived so long. Clearly there is a market for the stuff they sell! There's also an 'adult warehouse' somewhere but at least I'm not confronted with it every time I drive through town.

I'm very uncomfortable about a strip club in Lynn, open to the public (I read in the newspaper that it isn't to be members only) in a prominent position near to nightlife where my teenage daughters and their friends congregate. There seems to be a lot of trouble in the Norfolk Street area anyway. I'm not thrilled about Ann Summers branch in New Conduit Street either. Does that make me a prude and a killjoy? Probably.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:59 pm 

Nope! never spent a night in Chicagos myself but it sounds as if you have. I daresay that if
I was 50 yrs younger and a teenager just like yours again, I would.
The "Private shop" as far as I know has been going about its business for many years
without any problems, so I cannot see anything wrong with that.
"Adult Warehouse" is that an older version of a "Teenage Warehouse" dunno.
Ann Summers again seems to be a well run shop with "normal" looking people shopping
in there when I walk by (yes I do look) might be on a diet, but I can still look at the menu.
Still cannot see how the very few places that you have cited can help brand this place
a "seedy" town.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:03 pm 

I totally agree with your last post EWW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:20 am 

Well

Eww i Totaly Agree with what you Have Said 100% ,i Deffinatly Are Not an Angel and don,t pretend to be.After All my Girlfriend used to be the manageress in the kings Lynn private shop and used to get a very good Wage for it.At the End of the Day it Was a Job and it Payed the Bills.

tiggs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:54 pm 

Although I agree with the sentiments expressed above, I can see no problem with shops that sell things to enable people to enjoy a loving relationship with their partners, I can see that there is a difference between the shops selling such things and a lap-dancing club.

I have never been in a lap dancing club, so I only know what I have read and seen on the television, but they do seem to be just a little way off a brothel. Customers leering at half naked women, dancing for tips. There seems to be an opportunity to buy more than a dance, or that is how they are depicted on cop shows etc.

There are prostitutes in King's Lynn, there always have been and always will be, but are the objections because it is ok to have women selling their bodies as long as we don't know about it?

This is the tip of a very big iceburg of a debate around legalising brothels and sex clubs and on that matter I am undecided. The arguments for, include better control and safety for the women, the arguments against are mainly nimbyism and it's ok as long as I don't know about it.

I think that, if there is a demand for something, it is better that it is policed. I won't be using the club, or the brothels, (if they ever get legalised), so, as long as the women are safe and are not being pressurised into doing things they don't want to do, (as is the case with illegal operations) and it is all policed correctly, I can see no problems.

Teddy
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:44 pm 

Hi,

I have visited Several of this type of club, both by myself and with stagg groups. I imagine that some of you will be surprized to learn that they attract way less trouble than a normal pub or club. Beacause the "punters", mainly know the rules, they pay good money to get in, to drink and to "view", in general "the gentlemen", want to visit again too, so with few exceptions they are fun to visit, and pretty quiet outside. Many guys will only visit for a short time (as it would be very expensive to spend a whole evening in one! Also, lots of fights in town are over or caused by "women"! These girls are off limits and not usually girlfriend material for most, so again, less trouble occurs. As for them being brothell like, most managers will value their licence too much to allow it. With decent management, nice girls and proper security it will bring something new to Lynn :-) Though I did rather enjoy the tappas before, and think that The old Admirals Tap or Hoggshead would make a better venue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:56 pm 

I hope you'll not be surpised if you recieve very little support in your praise of the legal sex trade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:31 pm 

Of course,

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised :-)

And I can see anyones point, but like I say, managed properly, I don't beleive it will detract from the area, and it is coming. It will create jobs, generate revenue, there will be gretaer CCTV for an area which already needs it

I will be visiting :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:53 pm 

It creates poorly paid jobs for largely immigrant and certainly poor women, with little protection for their rights, no dignity and no respect.

It generates revenue for the owner who will recieve almost all the take. Everyone else will be minimum wage.

It will add a very small area of private CCTV to a town that's already one of the most intensively CCTV'd areas outside the M25 with little or no appreciable benefit to anyone. CCTV has only ever been proven to reduce one type of crime - thefts from parked cars - the rest of the time it usually struggles to produce an image that the subjects own mother would recognise. It doesn't stop drunkeness, brawling or as sociated physical and verbal assaults.

It will attract a mixed crowd - the pale silent types that should really move out from living with mother, and the drunken rowdy stag crowd that makes the door security and CCTV considered essential. It encourages those that attend to consider women to be objects with the purpose of pleasing them. It does not educate, reward or improve the lot of anyone concerned.

Nett benefit to the community..less than nothing, unless you get your kicks from the power trip of having someone pretend they find you interesting (whilst really thinking you're something they'd rather wipe from their shoe, amazing judge of character..) for minimum payment and maximum loss of dignity. Or those that just get off on the power trip of having women act on their command, those with a sense of impotence about the degree of control they have in their own lives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 am 

That's your opinion, based on the facts as you choose to perceive them, and I fully respect that!

I guess I won't see you there then :-)

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts, and what the tunover of staff is like. My girlfriend is Eastern European, highly educated, extremely attractive and had she been English, would quite probably have a very lucrative career, she has no concerns about dignity or minimum wage, she is just pleased to be in a "safe", country and "earning", her own living! In her own way, she is "exploited", by the chocolate industry, and an Irish firm are bennetitting from her hard work. Most businesses benefit the boss, far more than the front line workers, that's life!

I do know girls who work in this industry (English girls), they own their homes, drive nice cars and enjoy the job! They work from 8.0 pm till 3.0 am, they drive their "Chelsea Tractors", and "do lunch", together, and certainly not on minimum wage!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:44 am 

Vive la difference! Or, in this case, maybe it should be ‘le difference’.

Well done to lynnboy and Alastair for presenting two completely opposing points of view of the same proposal. I hope it’s not apathy on my part when I say that the subject itself – the proposed opening of a ‘gentlemen’s club’ – is of no personal interest but the response particularly from you two guys has certainly moved me to put in my tuppence worth.

Maybe like some of the other contributors, I too have led a sheltered life in this regard but whether that’s because of the way I was raised or the fact that I was – and still am – one of the fortunate ones in respect of having a happy home life, I will admit to never having visited any type of ‘gentlemen’s club’. Again, my perception is largely based on the portrayal of such establishments on television and, dependent on the type of film or the impression the producer wishes to create, it appears that it is just as likely to be the male customers who are the exploited – but what do I know? Is it not somewhat like the invention of gunpowder or the gun in that the club itself is not the problem but the way it could be misused by disreputable management, hopefully unlikely with careful monitoring and licensing, or abused by the patronage which would essentially be the proprietor’s responsibility to control?

Either way, it is extremely unlikely that I will ever visit, not because of any moral opposition but simply because it’s not something I would feel compelled to do. But, whatever the outcome, what I really wanted to say was thank you to curious for posting this thread since there seems to be little enough activity on the forum of late and this has at least sparked some reponse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:27 pm 

Thank you Cornishdave, congratulations on your happy home life :-) I do envy you.

I have said before, I do respect any opinion, and consider any argument :-) and I do beleive that proper management and regulation will make or break this "bar"! I hope it succesedes, but we'll see!